Thursday, 8 January 2009

The role of shame starts here

Well I thought the best place to start would be a run down of those little guilty secrets - the UFOs!

First up and in no particular order is .... Millie's Garden. This one was supposed to be a Christmas present for my young niece but some last minute machine quilting problems meant it didn't get finished in time. Don't worry she got something else as a present and the aim is now to get this finished for her 6th birthday in April.


The fabric is from the Moda range "Sweet Baby Jane" and the pattern from Pam and Nicky Lintott's book "Jelly Roll Quilts". This is a fantastic book with loads of great patterns for using these Moda fabric rolls we all love so much . You know it was only recently that I discovered what a jelly roll is. Up until then I had no idea it was what us Brits call a swiss roll. Well we live and learn!

I've decided I'm never machine quilting a quilt in one piece again though! This quilt isn't the biggest at 60" by 88" but I'm finding it a real slog to quilt it on a domestic machine - the weight is really affecting the evenness of my stitches. So much so that I will probably end up taking out the stitching I've already done and starting from scratch again.

I'd sort of sickened myself of it because I spent so much time working on it in the run up to Christmas and now I don't feel that enthusiastic about going back to it. But I don't want to make the mistake of leaving it too late again so I really must press on with it.

UPDATE: This situation has now been further complicated by the birth of a new nephew so I see a crib quilt on the horizon!