Sunday, 11 January 2009

Seaside Romance

You know, for a very very long time I hated pink - with a vengeance! I still don't have a single item of pink in my wardrobe ... it doesn't really go with the Celtic colouring if you get my drift.

But somewhere along the line I managed to develop an urge to do a pink quilt. I think it may have been at the Festival of Quilts in Birmingham in 2006 when I came across some lovely bundles of pink fabrics at the Quilt Room stand. All beautifully wrapped and overflowing from a basket they looked like little sweeties just waiting to be picked up and taken home. Not sugary pink but shabby chic pinks teamed with beige and ivory. Roses, shells, stripes and checks ... just too much to resist.

Coincidentally they also had a quilt on display showcasing these wonderful Moda Seaside Roses fabrics, and even better it was done using the quilting technique of 'stack and whack'. Great I thought, this should be a breeze to do.

And so far it has been. The fabric was in fat eighths - cut them into 8" squares and put four of them face up in a pile. Then make three random cuts through all four layers. At first it was quite difficult to let go of the need to measure before cutting but I soon got past that.

Leave the first slice untouched. Move the top fabric in the second slice to the bottom of the pile. Move the top two fabrics from the third slice to the bottom and three from the final slice. Now you should have four different fabrics on the top of the pile.

Rejoin the slices to make a square again and then join the squares in the usual fashion. This photo shows about a quarter of the finished quilt. Sorry it's not a great picture. I plan to add two borders, the first narrow and pink, with a second wider and patterned one to finish it off.

So what still has to be done? All the piecing for the centre is completed. I have fabric for the two borders so all I need to do is find some backing material that I like. Then, having learned my lesson I will be quilting this in sections - the four centre panels followed the the borders - and then joining them all together for the finished product. So watch this space to see how it goes!