Friday, 20 February 2009

It's Spring Quilt Festival time

This weekend the Spring Quilt Festival arrives in Edinburgh for three days. So I trotted along with my mother this morning and had a nice day browsing the quilts and spending rather a lot of money at the stalls.

It's not the biggest quilt show in the world but I have to say that the display was rather disappointing. I took along my camera and didn't take a single photo! The entire exhibition was made up of quilt collections - quilts from an English quilt group, antique quilts, students of a teacher called Jenny Lankester, a retrospectives on three different quilters, and the quilts from the "Jelly Roll Quilts" book by Pam and Nicky Lintott. The festival challenge was " Fun with Folk Art" and there were only two entries. No place for the ordinary quilter on the street to show their work.

So much of our time was spent going round the stallholders looking at new fabric ranges and gadgets, drooling over the book stand from Kaleidoscope as usual, and buying some bits and pieces for projects I have on the go at the moment. Here's what I came home with:



Backing fabric for my seaside romance quilt so no excuse for not getting on with that scary machine quilting and some magazines from the US. I really like the American Patchwork and Quilting magazine but its quite difficult to get hold of here. I also browsed some mags I hadn't see in the flesh before such as Down Under Quilts, Fabric Trends and American Quilter. Unfortunately I'm still waiting to see the Mark Lipinski magazine that everyone raves about.


The fabric here is from Andover's Meadowsweet range and is my bargain of the day. It's for the sashing and border for my Meadowsweet Geese quilt that I haven't shared with you yet. The collection has been out for a while and I thought I'd struggle to find any left let alone the exact fabric I wanted. But there is was and for the bargain basement price of £4.00 a metre. Yippee - I was almost swinging from the lights. Also got another couple of FQs for the top. I also picked up a pack of foundation and freezer paper sheets from Laurence the lovely Man from Rio Designs and a nifty tool from Jenny Beyer to help with my hand piecing. He also took me through the Dear Jane software and I think that it will be featuring on my birthday list in the near future!

Now I've got everything I need to be getting on with my meadowsweet geese I promise I'll get a photo uploaded over the weekend.