Sunday, 22 February 2009

More quilt festival purchases

Mea culpa - I confess! My shopping excesses extend beyond those on the last posting.

When I got home on Friday I sat browsing the magazines I got at the quilt show and also the latest issue of Quilter's Newsletter Magazine that had been sitting in my 'to read' pile. A couple of patterns jumped out and it was back to the quilt show on Saturday to pick up the supplies ... I'm a bad bad girl.

I just loved the indigoes in the flying geese pineapple quilt in QNM and have had a hankering to try some foundation piecing so it all fitted in quite well. I came home with 3 metres of lovely snowy white tone-on-tone and some reproduction indigo fat quarters. There would have been more as another stallholder had a bundle of matching FQs but they weren't taking card payments and I had no cash left :c( . Retailers that only take cash at shows must lose out on a lot of business! Anyway they have a shop not too far away from me so I'll pay them a visit soon.


The second pattern that caught my eye was a technique using applique to reproduce the curved piecing of the lover's knot block. The version in the magazine uses a green tone-on-tone on a plain white background. However I saw a lovely delicate blue sprig fabric that I think will make the perfect background and go well in my bedroom. I haven't decided yet whether to use a single fabric for the blocks or a mixture of different ones. I think I'll try a few sample blocks to see how that might look. Just realised - it seems like my pink phase is over and I'm back to blues! I just love applique as it's so portable although I've been reading Dawn Cameron Dick's book on Invisible Machine Applique so maybe I can use the excuse that I'm learning a new technique!


Can you see that furry foot in the botrom right hand corner? That's my quilty cat who insisted on getting in on the picture. You should have seen the ones that didn't make the grade - noses, backs, tails galore!

Now I think I'm a bit different to a lot of other quilters in that I very rarely buy fabrics just because I like them and want to add them to my stash. I usually buy with a particular project in mind - either one that is on the go or on the 'to do' list. Or I buy particular fabrics because they go well with a group that I already have and am saving for some as yet unknown quilt. I might see a fabric and think that is is lovely but I don't say "I must have some of that". That said, this is exactly what happened on day 2 of the show.

The stall from the Contented Cat had a bargain basket with a variety of half metre pieces for only £2. One particular piece caught my eye and then when I went digging I came across a number of others from the same collection. I came away with 10 half metres in the end and no idea what I might use them for! Maybe it's that spring fever hitting because they just zing with bright fresh spring colours. They are from "Innocence" by Jennifer Sampou for Robert Kaufman. If you have any bright ideas please let me know.


I'm just heading off to put away all my lovely purchases ...